Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Bread. 
Gluten-free bread.
Egg-free, gluten-free bread. 
I can feel you stressing out. I took me many failed egg-substitution attempts in an already gluten-free bread before I finally decided to come up with my own recipe..... I should have thrown in the towel much sooner. There is nothing more satisfying than finally getting it right.

The bread is moist, the crust is thin and crispy, you can actually eat the corners of the bread, and it doesn't crumble into oblivion on day number 2.

I leave the bread on the counter and it lasts about a week. It lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge (probably more, I just finish it quickly). 
Whenever you get a hankering for bread, just slice a piece and toast it and it's almost as good as the first day. 
Even my gluten-full family members enjoy this bread. That is, if I share.

Flour mixture I use:
2 c. Brown Rice Flour
2/3 c. Potato starch
1/3 c. Tapioca Starch


Bread:
1 1/2 c. Water, 
1 Tbsp. Plain Gelatin
1 Tbsp.  Flax seed, ground
1 Tbsp Yeast
In 1 Tbsp cold water, slowly dissolve gelatin. Add 2 Tbsp. hot water and stir until frothy. Add remaining 1 & 1/4 c & 2 Tbsp. water to gelatin mixture (I suggest using warm water, so as to dissolve the gelatin more). Add ground flax seed and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.

approx. 3 c. Flour
2 tsp. Xantham Gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Almond milk

Combine 1 c. flour with xantham gum, salt, and sugar. In a mixer, combine flour mix, almond milk, butter and yeast/gelatin water.Mix thoroughly. Add remaining flour until dough starts climbing the walls.

Scrap into a greased bread pan with parchment paper lining the bottom and pat top into a loaf shape. Let rise for 1-2 hours until about doubled in size (might not quite double. Will rise some while cooking).
Cook at 400 for 40 minutes or until done (bread will have pulled away from sides of pan).

Note--- 
Our oven bakes hot. It may take longer in an electric oven. 

Leave a comment below and let me know how it worked for you, or if you have any questions. I know that as the baker it's easy to forget to tell someone an important step.

No comments:

Post a Comment