Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cooking Without Eggs

Eggs make me feel funny and I can't stand them cold. But, all in all, they are really nice in baked goods. After I cut out gluten and corn, I still couldn't handle breads until I eliminated eggs. Poo on egg allergies. So now there's the problem of cooking without them. Corn is easy to eliminate when it comes to cooking from scratch, but eggs...sigh.

When I got Allergy Free Desserts by Elizabeth Gordon, I finally had success with egg-free cooking! Not only had I got my ratios wrong, but the flour I use seems to make a difference (more on that later).


                                                --Egg Substitutes--

There are several different substitutes; bananas, applesauce, flax seed, and chia seeds are some of the most common. Applesauce and bananas add flavor, so I don't use them, BUT you might want to.

1/4 Applesauce in place of one egg
1/2  a Banana in place of one egg

My personal favorite is flax seed. I've not tried chia seeds yet and I'm not sure what the difference would be, if any.

1 Tbsp Ground Flax seed or chia seed  
3 Tbsp Water

Combine and let sit 3-5 minutes until gelled. Use in place of one egg.

**Notes:
 - You should not substitute for more than 2 eggs (or so everyone says. I decided to believe them..for now) 
 - 1/2 Tbsp un-ground flax seed equals approx. 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
 - Do not store extra ground seeds, as they lose nutrition and go rancid quickly
 -Extra flax/chia egg substitute can be stored for up to 3 days in the fridge


Extra Info:

Got a favorite substitute? Info on how to store, make, etc.? Helpful hints? Substitutes you hate? Leave a comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment